Saturday, March 30, 2013

Kitchen Selections & A Disappointment

Well, we've made our final kitchen selections with the exception of the refrigerator that we'll purchase closer to closing.  I'm mostly happy.  There's one annoying piece of information that I've learned that I didn't expect would bother me as much as it really has.  I'm not sure how to get by it and I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it.

Now, here's what has me very bothered.  Apparently there's been a change in the cabinet design.  The original design had the cabinets above the range and microwave as below:
The Model - These cabinets are all flush with each other
New Design - These cabinets are NOT flush with each other
I think it's very ugly.  Not only that, but they include the crown moulding on JUST that cabinet with the new design, while the all the others will be plain, unless of course, I select the addition of the moulding - which I don't really like anyways and isn't in my budget :(  It's going to be an eyesore.  It bothers me a great deal.  I tried to let it go, but the kitchen is the most important thing to me in this house.  My mother, my son, and I spend a lot of time in it either cooking or baking.  It's also the central location for us socially when we get together with friends and family.  Ug *holding back tears of frustration*

Update:  I believe we've reached a compromise with RH to add crown moulding to all the cabinets at a discount.  

And now... drum-roll please....

We've selected the following decor:
Tan Brown Granite Countertops
42' Timberlake Tahoe Cherry Bordeaux Cabinets
Bruce Heritage Heights Mahogany Flooring
Here is a very poorly lit photo of the combo.  It looks much better in person.

Selected appliances:
GE® 30" Free-Standing Gas RangeJGBP33SETSS
GE® Dishwasher with Front ControlsGDF510PSDSS
GE Spacemaker® 1.9 Over-the-Range Microwave OvenJVM1950SRSS

Selected Sink & Accessories:
Moen Camerist® Stainless 7545SL
Nameless Stainless Steel Double Bowl w/ Disposal

We've also elected to go with recessed lighting in the kitchen:

12 comments:

  1. Did you ask your Sales Rep about making a non-standard request to have the cabinets match those in the model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did ask for an exception and was told that to meet the ENERGY STAR® Certification requirement meant changing the design. I requested the crown moulding to be then included in the kitchen on all the cabinets to at least make it match but I don't believe it's going to happen. It's mostly disappointing as the kitchen is what sold us and that we're spending the most money for the main floor upgrades - flooring, upgraded cabinet color, extra windows, double door, etc. I hope I don't spend the next 30 years staring into my kitchen from the couch hating that cabinet!

      Delete
  2. Well, thanks for calling my cabinets ugly. =( lol I actually prefer the raised cabinet because it breaks things up a bit. I'm sorry that you are hating the raised cabinet and that there's no way to get them to change it. Oh and I totally need to find some cute stuff to put on the left side of that cabinet... it's looking a little empty in that picture! =)

    I'm not sure if it was specific to my Scottsdale Maple Espresso cabinets or not, but I have crown molding on all of my cabinets. That was a pleasant surprise for me because I didn't know that the crown molding came with our cabinets when we upgraded them.

    I'm not a huge fan of granite countertops, but I love the Tan Brown. I think your colors will look really nice together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I don't mean yours specifically! I had another photo (that was really out of focus so I didn't share it on the blog) that had just that middle piece with crown and the others were straight edged. I borrowed the picture but tried to cut out anything but the top (sorry), thank you so much I was able to take it to my SR. We worked it out just last night and are upgrading ours to include the crown on all of them at a discount. What actually bothered me is that the crown would only be on the raised piece. Yours has actually been an inspiration to me and I've grown to appreciate it being different! I was thinking you should go with a tray propped on it's side with a nice design on it. It would really pull the colors from your vases on the other side out! :-p

      I love your blog btw!

      Delete
    2. We wanted the crown molding from the very beginning, but we didn't want to pay $500 for it because there really isn't that much of it in the Florence. Then we saw the raised cabinet with the crown molding and I was really bummed that we didn't just suck it up and pay the $500... so I started researching to see if I could get crown molding that matched and install it myself. Then one day I walked in and the rest of the crown molding was up... and I was so relieved! You are right... it would have looked "unfinished" for only the raised cabinet to have the molding.

      I'm glad you were able to get the rest of the crown molding and that you seem to be warming up to the raised cabinet. =)

      Delete
    3. I agree with Pp that I like how the cabinets are now broken up. It's interesting to see all the likes an dislikes on the blogs! But it's your house so push for what you want!

      Delete
    4. It's definitely growing on me now that I've caved to crowning it all. It's funny how you can start out feeling so strongly about something but then realize it might have been a good thing all along! Thank you guys for all the support!

      Delete
  3. I agree with M, I like the raised cabinets better too!! (Ours are all even :(). I think it looks more elegant with the raised one. That is really weird that they would only do the moulding on that one though. I swear some of the thing "standard" things they do are just to get you to upgrade something else. I would definitely spring for the moulding though... it makes a difference in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stinks that I have to pay to make it look fluid but the look is beginning to grow on me :)

      Delete
  4. If it's any consolation, they're giving you more cabinet space. Although I agree with you that it doesn't look as sharp.

    These cabinets are most likely Timberlake which is a brand represented at all the big box stores in one form or another. I know this only because we are adding a set of cabinets to the kitchen of our Milan and found out we can match 100% with one of Timberlake's other brand names.

    Home Depot - American Woodmark
    Lowes - Shennandoah

    You can still get the cabinet you wanted for much less than Ryan will charge you to change it. I would GUESS this cabinet won't cost you more any more than $300 (based on cabinet pricing at HD for the same line). The only thing I think you'd worry about is the crown molding would have to get redone but that's another $80 from the same cabinet makers. If you know anyone semi-handy, I'd probably try to tackle this myself. The under-cabinet microwave would probably be the 'hardest' part but even that's not bad for two people.

    Best of luck and enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support. It's good to know we can match, I can't currently afford one of my bathroom cabinet choices but knowing it might be available later to add in is encouraging!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete